Monday, December 31, 2007

Our ALA Experiment

I'd read a lot on AutismNCD about using ALA as a natural, gentle chelator to get to metals in the brain. I read about some people using it in conjunction with DMSA, others with NCD. I read about the Cutler protocol, which calls for frequent low doses given on a strict schedule every three hours (4 hrs at night) around the clock for three days (then 4 days off). Apparently, the reason behind the strict dosing is that ALA can release metals from the brain, but, if more ALA (or some other chelator?) is not given regularly, those metals might redistribute elsewhere in the body, which we obviously don't want.

I initally started Demi on ALA in conjunction with NCD in early November. Since I'm confident that NCD (she's on 10 drops/3x/day) will mop up anything that ALA breaks loose, I didn't worry about the strict dosing. Plus, I'm not that great with strict dosing anyway. I'm very good about giving supplements at breakfast and supper, but anything in between (that can't be put in a lunch drink) would likely get forgotten.

So, initially, her doses of ALA were anything but regular, typically a couple doses each evening after school and haphazardly on the weekend. Not great, I know. Shame on me. Even so, I thought it helped her a little - nothing dramatic, could have been the rose-colored glasses effect.

Eventually, it got so haphazard that I stopped it completely until I could get a better schedule together. Once Christmas break came around, I decided to stick to a regular schedule for the ALA - during the day, that is. My plan was 5 doses (25mg/dose)/day. I had to set alarms to go off so I'd remember!

So, that's what we've been doing for the last 10 days. I can't really tell yet if it's working. I've read it usually takes 100 rounds (two years) to "work" so I'm not sure what to expect short term.

No comments: