Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Rising Epidemic

I took Demi to a birthday party yesterday for a boy from her class. I'm very used to Demi being the only "special" child at parties. As usual, several parents were hanging out while the kids jumped around (one of the blow up jumping places).

I started talking to one parent whom I didn't recognize. She asked me what I did and I explained it in a very summarized form, mentioning that I had gotten into supplements because Demi had special needs. She asked many more questions about Demi and then revealed that her own daughter (who was at the party) had been diagnosed with autism, her son had Asperger's, and her other daughter had ADHD. Wow! A triple whammy!

It seems no matter where I go, I run into people who either have or know someone fairly close who has an autistic child (or perhaps ADHD, PDD-NOS, etc.). I'm fairly certain that mom's groups when I was young didn't spend their time discussing which medications work best for their child or how the IEP process works at this school or that. Does anyone else see that??

I've recently started an "internet radio show" on Blog Talk Radio. Tomorrow, I'm excited to be talking to Anjellica Guthrie, organizer of our local Autism, Coaching, and Education (ACE) group, who has finally RECOVERED her child from autism. She's amazing!

The show is at 11:00am (EST). Just visit http://www.BlogTalkRadio.com/ZeoliteWellness at that time and you'll be able to listen to the information and even call in to ask questions. The show will also be recorded and will be available at the same address after the fact, but you won't be able to ask questions. Through all of her work with her son, Anjellica is a wealth of information!

No comments: